Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Open Question: What is this symptom I get when I have a panic attack?




Yahoo! Answers: Search for





Open Question: What is this symptom I get when I have a panic attack?



So, sometimes when I get a panic attack or after I have a panic attack I get weird feelings/thoughts. I thought it was defined as the feeling of 'unreality' or 'depersonalization,' but I just read the definition of these and I don't think that's it.

Perhaps it's fleeting thoughts, or just the way a racing anxious mind works, or maybe I'm just a cynical person - but figured I would ask any way.

A lot of times I get very overwhelmed. The fact that I don't understand everything can either trigger an anxiety attack or can leave me in a 'loopy' state of mind after one.

It's hard to explain, so I'll give a few examples:

Sometimes I'll get a panic attack when I truly try to empathize with people. I get overwhelmed when I think about how many people there are around me and how each perspective is different and unique. I wonder what the world looks like through their eyes, and how each of us has this immense 'inner' world - and wonder what their's is like...and get anxious when I realize I'll never know the answers. This probably also has to do with the fact that my anxiety has to do a lot with fear of embarrassment and I'm wondering how I look in their eyes.

Another example would be that sometimes things on a grand scale effect me. For instance I can be overwhelmed by tall buildings, big mountains, crowded city streets, etc... Half of the time I think this is due to the fact that my sensory perception is delicate (if lighting changes a lot, sounds change, etc... my brain assumes danger). The other half of the time it's because I'll look at these things and don't understand how they were accomplished. I cannot grasp the magnitude and time it took create these things and I get frustrated then anxious. Whether it's how the Empire State building was created or the scope of time and geological events that led to a mountain I see in the distance.

I would love to be able to take everything for what it is and not have these questioning thoughts, but it's just the way my brain has grown to think. I would love to be at the airport and just acknowledge what a beautiful thing a flying plane is without having to google flight and learning about drag and lift and thrust to understand how the plane works because I get anxious I don't get it (recent event). I'm sure this thinking may be useful if it didn't cause me anxiety and if it were more focused...but I haven't found a way to achieve that yet.

When I have these thoughts I get into a pattern where I feel a little 'unreality.' Although I am aware that everything around me is real, it's like my inability to understand any of it makes me feel minuscule and scared and overwhelmed.

I also feel the need to point out that I have no false illusions of who I am. I do not think that I am a person of great importance that should know everything about everything.

I know that I think way too much, and I'm trying to stop doing that so I can relax and enjoy life. There are times that I can look at a beautiful sky, mountain, ocean...and just appreciate it at face value and be happy with the miracle it is. However there are just as many times that they are a source of anxiety because I don't 'get it.' I do love to meditate, but many times when these thoughts start I'm not in a place conducive to it. I feel at peace when I meditate - and would welcome any tips on achieving the same results when I can't find quiet and fully concentrate on it.

Any way - I don't think I'm quite as neurotic as this sounds, but I wanted to get into as much detail as possible. I'm guessing it's just the fleeting thoughts of an analytical mind, but wanted some input.

Thanks!!







ABC News: Top Stories





Suspended Secret Service Staffers Partied at Brothel







Email this Article
Add to Twitter
Add to Facebook
Add to digg
Add to Reddit
Add to StumbleUpon











Meditation Techniques - Google News





2 Weeks of Unlimited Classes at Luminous Warrior - Washington City Paper




2 Weeks of Unlimited Classes at Luminous Warrior
Washington City Paper
In addition to physical training you'll also learn techniques for increased mental preparedness and emotional stamina to help realize true personal power. Visit Luminous Warrior's FAQ page for more info. "The self defense training at Luminous Warrior ...








No comments:

Post a Comment